Illinois state lawmakers are hoping a short, clear set of principles can keep Medicaid managed care programs from hurting the quality of life of consumers who are getting Medicaid nursing home benefits.
Members of the state Senate are considering Senate Bill 3450, the Nursing Home Residents’ Managed Care Rights Act bill.
The bill states that “elderly Illinoisans residing in nursing homes” have the right to:
- Quality health care regardless of the payer;
- Care prescribed by their doctor;
- A simple appeals process when care is denied;
- Make decisions about their care; and
- Continue to live in the care center they call home.
The lead sponsor is Sen. James Clayborne Jr., D-East St. Louis.