Close Close
Popular Financial Topics Discover relevant content from across the suite of ALM legal publications From the Industry More content from ThinkAdvisor and select sponsors Investment Advisor Issue Gallery Read digital editions of Investment Advisor Magazine Tax Facts Get clear, current, and reliable answers to pressing tax questions
Luminaries Awards

Portfolio > Alternative Investments > Real Estate

Federal estate tax due to go to zero

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.

The end of the year is bringing more than the holidays. The federal estate tax could be eliminated entirely in 2010 unless Congress intervenes, Reuters reports, before reverting to an exemption for the first $1 million of an estate, while the remainder of the estate will be taxed at 55 percent. Under current tax law, the first $3.5 million of an individual’s estate are exempt; the remainder is taxed at a maximum rate of 45 percent.

The House is expected to take up the issue next week, but tax analysts expect a one-year extension will be the most likely outcome, considering Congress’ full agenda.

Critics argue that estate taxes affect small business owners, but the Congressional Budget Office found little evidence to suggest the tax hinders the creation of small businesses, according to the news agency.


© 2024 ALM Global, LLC, All Rights Reserved. Request academic re-use from All other uses, submit a request to [email protected]. For more information visit Asset & Logo Licensing.