The Allstate Corporation has named James E. Hohmann president and chief executive officer of its Allstate Financial unit effective Jan. 1.
Hohmann takes over from Casey Sylla, who announced his intention to retire after more than 10 years with Allstate, Northbrook, Ill.
Until assuming his new position, Hohmann had been president and chief operating officer of Conseco Inc., Carmel, Ind.
Conseco also announced several other changes in its executive ranks.
Conseco CEO James Prieur will now oversee the company’s operations group, long term care operations, product development, actuarial operations and information technology, which had formerly reported to Hohmann.
The company named Scott Perry president of Bankers Life and Casualty Company. He had been executive vice president and chief operating officer of Bankers Life. It also named Mark Alberts executive vice president and chief actuary for Conseco. He had previously been senior vice president, actuary for Conseco Insurance Group.
In other personnel news:
- Zurich Financial Services Group, New York, has appointed former Maine Superintendent of Insurance Alessandro A. Iuppa as head of government and industry affairs for general insurance, and as chief government affairs officer, North America, effective Jan. 15.
Iuppa recently completed his one-year term as president of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, Kansas City, Mo.
He will be based in Washington.
- Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company, Springfield, Mass., announced that Stuart H. Reese, chief executive officer and president of MassMutual, has also been named chairman of the board of directors, effective Jan. 11.
- UnitedHealth Group Inc., Minnetonka, Minn., appointed Eric S. Rangen senior vice president and chief accounting officer. Rangen will be responsible for accounting, external financial reporting and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance.
Previously, Rangen was executive vice president, chief financial officer and principal accounting officer at Alliant Techsystems, Edina, Minn.
- Companion Life Insurance Company, Columbia, S.C., promoted vice president and chief financial officer Trescott N. “Scott” Hinton Jr. to president of the company, effective Jan. 1. Hinton has been the company’s chief financial officer since 1996.
He will replace president Donald H. Dashiell, who is retiring after serving as the company’s top executive since 1994.
- Epic Advisors Inc., Rochester, N.Y., hired George Curry as director of business development. He will be primarily responsible for managing business development in the western United States.