The essential issues for grownchildren to raise with their elder parents:
1. What legacy would you like to leave to our family? To the larger community? Have you written down your wishes? Would you like me to help you make an ethical will to share your principles and aspirations?
2. Have you planned how to manage and transfer your assets to the beneficiaries you’ve chosen?
3. Do you have a will? How recent is it? Is it still valid? Where can it be found? Who is the executor?
4. Do you have enough money to maintain your current lifestyle? Have you thought about how to pay for long-term care, if needed?
5. What if you get sick? Have you granted someone a durable power of attorney to manage your finances?
6. Who is legally allowed to make healthcare decisions for you if you can’t? Do you have a living will expressing your desires about things like artificial life support?
7. Are your important financial documents in one place? Who knows where they are? Should I know?