Ask the following questions of anyone who proposes to sell your organization a program for pre-employment testing, or assessment for personal development.
- Has your test been reviewed in Buros’s Mental Measurement Yearbook?
- Is your test supported by a test manual that is organized according to the standards outlined in the Uniform Guidelines on Employee Selection Procedures?
- Can you provide a technical report containing a competent validity study (as defined by the Uniform Guidelines) using your test in a real organization?
- Can you provide a summary of validation results for jobs similar to the one under consideration?
- Can you describe the standardized validation process that you follow before implementing your test for selection in an organization?
- How do you establish cut scores for selection purposes?
- Can you describe the process that your organization follows for systematically evaluating the performance of your test?
- Does your company maintain a research archive that can be accessed to confirm the results of individual validity studies?
- What is your company’s policy for supporting clients in the event of a legal challenge to the use of the test?
- Has your company been involved in any legal challenges of the test, and if so, what was the outcome?
Source: Hogan Assessment Systems