Close Close

Regulation and Compliance > Federal Regulation > IRS

Activated Reservists Can Get Tax Extensions

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.

NU Online News Service, Oct. 3, 2:58 p.m. – The Internal Revenue Service says reservists called to active, federal duty and new enlistees in the armed forces may qualify for deferral of federal income taxes under the Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act.

The act applies to members of the Coast Guard as well as the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps, and it can help military personnel get extensions on taxes due before or during military service. Taxpayers who use the act are supposed to make the deferred tax payments six months after their military service ends.

No interest or penalty obligations build up during the military service deferral period.

To qualify for the deferral, taxpayers must prove that they are unable to pay their taxes, and that their military service led to the inability to pay the taxes.

For officers, the deferral period is limited to two years.

The IRS has posted the publication that deals with military personnel taxes, the “Armed Forces’ Tax Guide,” on the Web at //

The guide, which is posted in the Adobe Acrobat PDF file format, deals with tax considerations for personnel serving in a combat zone as well as instructions for extension requests.