The truth is that there is no magic formula for landing your dream client. No matter what you have been told, it takes a lot more than a magic wand or a forceful or winning personality. What you really need is a plan.
Draw a line down the middle of a piece of paper. A legal pad will work perfectly.
Label the top left-hand column “Dream Clients.” In that left-hand column, write down the names of your top 20 strategically chosen prospects.
Label the top of the right-hand column “New Clients.” Write the numbers 1 through 20 down that column to create 20 spaces to match the 20 dream clients whose names you have written in the left-hand column.
Your job is to move the dream clients on the left to the right by winning their business.
Begin by answering these questions:
- What do you need to do to move the dream clients on the left-hand side of the page to the right-hand side of the page? What do you need to do to turn your “dream clients” into “clients.” Be specific.
- What are the compelling reasons that your dream clients should change what they are doing, and what do you know that would help them understand why they should change, what their better future looks like, and what actions are necessary to bring that future to life?
- What is the first medium you need to use to begin the process of being known? Is this medium the fastest method available to you, or do you prefer it because you are uncomfortable using a faster choice? How long should it take you to start developing relationships and opportunities with your dream clients now that you have named them?
- What actions do you need to take to nurture these relationships, playing the long game, developing relationships, and creating the value that earns you the right to compete for their business? How do you make yourself known as a value creator and someone with deep chops?
- What resources do you have available to help you open new relationships and create opportunities within these dream client companies? Whose help are you going to enlist?
- How many days should you allow to pass without taking some action to move these prospects over to your client column?
- Six months from now, how many of your dream clients will be working with you?
- Twelve months from now, how many of your dream clients will be working with you?
A big part of success is just showing up. Naming your dream clients, designing a pursuit plan and taking action every day will likely be enough to move some of your dream clients to the client column here.
You just have to be willing to take action.
Sign up for The Lead and get a new tip in your inbox every day! More tips:
- What a dream client wants
- 5 rules for nurturing your dream clients
- Stop connecting and start closing
Have you Liked us on Facebook?