Now that the holidays are behind us, I thought I’d share some of my favorite customer-service tips. Here are 15 for 2015:
1. Be polite. Get back to the basics of customer service. Don’t forget to say “please” and “thank you.”
2. Name names. Speaking of basics, use the customer’s name. It helps to build rapport.
3. Follow through. Always do what you say you’re going to do. If you say you’re going to call back in five minutes, then do so.
4. Serve the customer. Everyone has customers; some are internal (your colleagues) and some are external (clients).
5. Introduce yourself. Let your customers know your name and how to contact you in case they’re inadvertently disconnected, have another question or find they need a “friend” at the company.
6. Respond quickly. Return calls, emails and any other type of request quickly.
7. Be punctual. It’s expected you’ll be on time for your meetings and appointments. It’s a sign of disrespect if you aren’t.
8. Be social. Monitor social networks for comments from your customers and respond quickly (see above).