Chances are you have an idea where you’d like to be in your career. If you’ve gotten stuck somewhere along the way, take heart. These 6 self-motivation techniques from sales and motivation expert Bob Urichuck’s book Motivate Your Team in 30 Days will get you back on track:
1. Become better acquainted with yourself. Ask yourself “what are my values?” Explore your strengths and weaknesses. What are your fears and motivation-killers? Are there unhelpful habits standing in your way? Can you replace them with helpful ones? Take some time to find out who you really are.
2. Carve out some time for reflection. This is not a time for relaxation but for contemplation. Reflect on your progress toward your goals. You might spend some of this time writing down how you would like your life to look. Remove the barriers from your thinking; believe that anything is possible.
3. Be specific about your dream. It’s difficult to accomplish a dream without knowing the steps necessary to achieve it. Piling too much onto your plate at once will only backfire. Break down your dream into smaller steps and imagine yourself accomplishing these steps one at a time. Be patient with yourself as you make progress.
4. Consult your reflective writings often. Review your list of goals on a regular basis. You may even decide to make it a daily habit. The first step in achieving any goal is imagining how its achievement might look. Write, plan and visualize your goals coming to fruition.
5. Make a commitment. Once you have broken down your dream into smaller action points, decide which one you wish to accomplish today. Now that your dream is down on paper, sign your name at the bottom to signal your commitment to making it a reality.
6. Do it. Thinking about what you want is a necessary step, but being self-motivated means taking action. If you spend too much time thinking, that’s called procrastination. Chances are you will fail many times before you succeed. Accept that and persevere, because your next attempt may be the one that breaks through.
When it comes to achieving your goals, you can succeed. You just need a little push in the right direction.
Sign up for The Lead and get a new tip in your inbox every day! More tips: