Your prospects are inundated with calls, spam, junk mail—the list goes on and on. So how can you break through? Write a business book! Here, from Tanya Hall, CEO of Greenleaf Book Group, are five ways a business book helps you get noticed:
1. It touts your expertise. If you want to stand out from the crowd, offering specific advice will help differentiate you. A true expert knows his area of expertise intimately, which is the reason people come to him. Your experience, knowledge and track record of results means people want to hear what you have to say. Research books on your specialty to see if there is a gap you can fill.
2. It communicates your value proposition. Now that you’ve narrowed down your area of expertise, hone your message and identify the value you bring to clients. A clear articulation of your value will help identify potential readers (and clients). Take your time with this step; it’s of paramount importance.
3. It develops your message. Once you have chosen a message, it’s time to further explore it. Many advisors find this aspect of writing a book quite helpful, as it encourages them to move beyond the elevator pitch. They can identify the specific ways their solutions impact clients. Here’s where your unique strategies and research come into play. Organize this information into topics and subtopics for easy of presentation.
4. It can bring you clients. Because your book demonstrates the ways in which you help clients, it will establish your credibility and expertise in your field. As a thought leader with increased visibility, well-qualified prospects will seek you out. You may even find that your newfound visibility leads to speaking, consulting or coaching opportunities.
5. It gives you something to promote. A book is a great calling card for meeting planners, reporters, clients and prospects. It gives people something to talk about, while the launch of your book is an opportunity for media attention. Make sure you note on your website any appearances you will be making and link to any articles or interviews.
Thanks to new technologies, there are many ways to get published. You may choose self-publishing, traditional publishing or some combination of the two. Research the alternatives to determine your best option.
Sign up for The Lead and get a new tip in your inbox every day! More tips: