Want to better educate your prospects about long-term care planning? Want to motivate them to take action?
For those of us in the long-term care trenches, that can be a difficult task. That’s why the marketing initiatives from the 3in4 Need More Campaign are definitely welcomed. And absolutely needed!
First, what is 3in4? It’s a national awareness campaign to educate Americans about the need to form a long-term care plan and which products, services and options could be part of that plan. The key message is “Health Insurance Isn’t Enough; 3in4 Need More.” And who better to raise this awareness and communicate this message than agents, financial advisors and planners?
The organization was started three years ago by three dedicated volunteers — Jonas Roeser, the president and the creative force behind this effort, Mark Goldberg and me. We shared a vision of bringing the LTC industry together in a national nonprofit association to promote the concept of long-term care planning.
And that has happened. Producers, agencies, carriers, associations (NAIFA and NAHU), federal and state government representatives and others have joined us. All dollars raised are used for marketing; all of the time spent on the campaign is donated.
The campaign provides a proven approach to help professionals in the LTC space successfully explain to their clients and prospects the need for planning. Here are the key facts on which the 3in4 concept is based:
- 77 percent of Americans ages 30 to 65 think they should know more about LTC insurance than they currently do. That’s more than 3 in 4 Americans.
- 74 percent of consumers ages 55 to 65 say they are concerned about needing some kind of long-term care. Again, that’s nearly 3 in 4 of us.
The campaign focuses on four objectives:
1. Spread the word among the public that “3in4 Need More” than health insurance.
2. Support Congressional efforts to provide additional incentives, like tax deductions or credits, to help people better afford long-term care products.
3. Bring the LTC industry together to educate the public by joining the 3in4 Need More Campaign and using the logo and visuals to spread the word.
4. Educate the public on private programs and federal entitlement options.
See also: 5 ways to sell LTCI to boomers
3in4’s producer benefits
So, what’s in it for producers? Let’s start with the big picture. In order for the long-term care industry to survive and to reverse the downward sales trend, we need to all work together to promote the need for this protection. The 3in4 Campaign is an important resource to make that happen.
On an individual agent level, the campaign provides excellent marketing materials for reaching out to clients and prospects. There are three levels of membership: (1) Free, (2) LTC Educator and (3) LTC Advisor. All dollars raised are used to support marketing activities. The benefits received on all three levels are explained on the website www.3in4needmore.com.
Here are three items available with the free membership:
1. An electronic version of the new booklet “The Essentialsfor Long-Term Care Planning.” Its 16 chapters include such helpful information as how to design the right plan, researching long-term care planning, knowing your risks, and asset-based products. Especially helpful is the chapter on VA benefits. The information even details the exact dollar amount the vet and the spouse will receive, so it’s very useful when determining the appropriate combination of benefits.
I’m emailing the booklet to prospects as part of my confirmation letter before we meet. Plus, I’ve ordered a quantity of customized versions with my bio and contact information on the back, and I plan to use them for generating referrals from centers of influence.