If you are really, truly unique then people will talk and spread the news about your firm. But do they? If you are delivering exceptional products and/or services, why aren’t more people spreading the word? If you care more than most, why don’t more people share that fact with others?
The reasons? Either your perception is not matched by your clients’ perception or you are unique and exceptional, but others are unsure how to verbalize this and share you with others. Here are three solutions to get others to share your uniqueness:
- Spend some time determining what really makes you unique. However, complete this task not from your perspective, but from your clients’. Ask or survey them to find out what they believe makes you unique. It can be a very insightful exercise—either positively or negatively.
- Have a prepared statement that describes the uniqueness of your firm. Avoid the features and get to the benefits. Think from someone else’s perspective: “Why does this firm matter to me?”
- Give people the help they need to spread the word about you. Develop a robust online presence starting with a compelling website. People will search for you online—what they find needs to match what others are saying about you. And give your fans something they can share with others—an interesting article that can be downloaded from your website or a feature on your firm’s Facebook page. Help your clients to send you viral.
The key is to have something that is unique, let others know about it and give them ways to share it with others. Without these, you may seem surprisingly unexceptional.
Sign up for The Lead and get a new tip in your inbox every day! More tips:
- Your morning success ritual
- 3 steps to cloning your best clients
- Sales results suffering? Ask yourself these five questions
Maribeth Kuzmeski is the founder of Red Zone Marketing, LLC, which consults to Fortune 500 firms on strategic marketing planning and business growth. For more information, go to www.redzonemarketing.com.