Selling is a stressful career and excessive stress can prevent you from increasing your sales and growing your business. Here are eight things you can do that can help you manage and reduce the stress associated with selling.
1. Exercise and eat properly. Exercise is one of the most effective ways to reduce and manage stress. Proper diet can play a major factor in helping you manage stress. Drink more water, as well.
2. Read motivational material or listen to motivational audio programs. Read autobiographies, success literature, self-development books, blogs and other materials that inspire you. I used to drive 50,000 miles a year, and my car was always full of motivational tapes. Download your favorite podcasts and get a boost of motivation in between appointments.
3. Network with positive people. Energy is contagious so associate and network at least once a week with people who have a positive mental attitude.
4. Engage in hobbies. Hobbies are a great way to de-stress and forget about work for a while.
5. Avoid water cooler talk. Complaining about the economy, the company, the competition, etc., is a full-time job for some people. Don’t get sucked into this negative behavior.
6. Allow ample travel time. Avoid the stress of traffic delays and allow ample time to get from one appointment to the next. This also includes air travel.
7. Laugh. Adults only laugh a fraction of the times that children do; take a lesson from kids and look for things that make you chuckle or laugh.
8. Network outside your industry. A conversation with someone unfamiliar with your business can give you a fresh perspective and insights into your sales challenges.
When you take action to reduce your stress level, you not only increase your sales but may also live longer, which gives you the opportunity to enjoy the fruits of your labor.
For more articles on advisor stress, read:
Kelley Robertson speaks at conferences, sales meetings and association events. Get a free copy of “100 Ways to Increase Your Sales” and “Sales Blunders That Cost You Money” at http://www.Fearless-Selling.ca. For information on his programs, contact Robertson at 905-633-7750 or Kelley@RobertsonTrainingGroup.com.