Last week’s “3 steps to cloning your best clients?” ended talking about requesting an interview with your best clients to determine how to reach more clients just like them. Here are the next steps:
1. Determine the value you bring. Here’s a gutsy way to start the interview: “On a scale of one to 10, where am I with you right now?” or, “What about your financial situation keeps you up at night?” Follow that with, “Is our current plan addressing your concerns, or do you think we need to make some adjustments?” Ask why they do business with you and what attracted them to you in the first place.
Note: Consider recording these interviews. You’ll be able to capture everything your client says without taking notes.
2. Brainstorm for introductions. Begin by telling your client you want to meet more people like them. Show them your ideal client profile. Ask, “If you were me, how would you go about trying to meet people like yourself?” “What would you say to them to get their attention?” “What’s a compelling reason for someone like you to take a timeout from their busy life and sit down with me?”
3. Get introduced. If you have selected the right type of client to interview in the first place, you’ll probably get up to five referrals. Two effective questions to help you customize your approach to a new prospect are: “How would you like to introduce me to George?” and, “What do you think you need to say to George to get him interested in taking my call?”
4. Evaluate and follow up. After each interview, there are several things you want to do:
- Reflect on the information you received from your client and adjust your process or service if necessary.
- Reflect on the ideal client profile you presented and fine tune it if necessary.
- Send a thank-you note and small gift for meeting with you and for the referrals, if you obtained some.
- Contact any new referral prospects right away.
- Keep your client in the loop with what happens to their referrals.
Sign up for The Lead and get a new tip in your inbox every day!
- The 100 best marketing ideas
- Referrals: Common sense versus common practice
- Indexed annuities set sales record
Bill Cates is the author of “Get More Referrals Now!” and “Don’t Keep Me a Secret!” Go to www.ReferralMinute.com for more information and to sign up for his newsletter. Bill can be reached at Info@ReferralCoach.com.