Question: After joining a LinkedIn group, what should I be doing?
Answer: Here are some suggestions on how to best use LinkedIn groups:
- Go to the LinkedIn groups and search for your local community. Narrow down the top five or 10 most active groups that fit the profile of your ideal client or referral source.
- Connect with the people in these groups. Send invites and thank yous when they accept and a link to your website.
- Post relevant content that adds value to the discussion boards. Do not post advertisements. For example: “Five Questions to Ask When Buying Life Insurance” or “Is Your Online Brokerage Losing Your Money?” would be a strong posts. Check out Senior Market Advisor’s Senior Survey for topics that are important to seniors: http://www.seniormarketadvisor.com/Issues/2009/7/Pages/2009-Senior-Survey.aspx.
These steps help you turn strangers into consumers of your content and allows people to sample your knowledge of the financial industry. When your new contacts realize their need for financial services or a friends’ need you are on top of their mind.
Question: How is the lead generation going? Are you happy with the results you’re getting through social media?
Answer: I work with social media marketing specifically in the financial industry and have witnessed several success stories. Social media can help your business:
- Increase revenue.
- Decrease expenses.
- Increase customer satisfaction.
The No. 1 reason people fail at social media marketing is they don’t have a solid foundation. To build the foundation, you need:
- A brand.
- A good website. (You shouldn’t be engaging in social media marketing if you don’t have a strong website.)
- Know ways to differentiate yourself from the competition. If you don’t stand out, you can’t attract people to do business.
Sign up for The Lead and get a new tip in your inbox every day!