- Ask open-ended questions. It’s a good idea to frequently summarize and clarify the feedback in your own words. Always ask for specific examples.
- Take time to reflect on the feedback. Look for opportunities to continuously incorporate useful suggestions to improve your effectiveness.
- Be grateful. Thank the people who take the time to give you honest feedback, because without them you’ll never attain your full potential.
- Shoot the messenger. Be polite and keep your focus on the message.
- Become upset, judgmental or defensive. Be willing to consider every input.
- Argue or interrupt. Listen intently and stay open-minded.
- Rationalize. Accept responsibility for your actions.
Remember: Without timely feedback, it’s utterly impossible for a person to accurately identify his or her shortcomings, correct bad habits, and profit from mistakes.