Allianz Life Insurance Company of North America has hired Patrick Nelson to be chief suitability officer.
Nelson previously was deputy commissioner of the Minnesota Department of Commerce, according to Allianz Life, Golden Valley, Minn., a unit of Allianz S.E., Munich.
In other personnel news:
- WellPoint Inc., Indianapolis, says several high-level executives are leaving.
Alice Rosenblatt, WellPoint’s chief actuary, will be retiring sometime after June 30, 2008, the company says.
Cindy Miller, a WellPoint actuary who once was chief actuary at the old Anthem Inc., Indianapolis, the company that merged with WellPoint Health Networks Inc. to form WellPoint Inc., will succeed Rosenblatt as chief actuary of WellPoint Inc., WellPoint says.
Another company executive, John Watts Jr., is resigning from his position as president of the commercial and consumer business unit.
Joan Herman, who will be taking over as the president of a new consumer business unit, will be retiring from WellPoint sometime in mid-2008, WellPoint says.
In addition to the consumer business unit, WellPoint will be creating a new commercial business unit and a new “comprehensive health solutions business unit.”
The health solutions unit will focus on health quality and cost management programs.
Herman, who will serve for about half a year as the head of the consumer business unit, has been president of WellPoint’s specialty, senior and state-sponsored businesses.
WellPoint hopes have a successor in place to succeed by the time Herman retires, the company says.
Ken Goulet, who has been president of WellPoint’s national accounts business, will be the president of the commercial business unit. The unit will oversee UniCare and WellPoint’s dental, vision, life, disability and behavioral health programs as well as coverage for local group customers and national accounts, WellPoint says.
Dijuana Lewis will be president of the health solutions unit. Lewis previously was president of WellPoint’s local group business.
WellPoint has hired Brad Fluegel to be chief strategy and public affairs officer. Fluegel previously was vice president of national accounts at Aetna Inc., Hartford.
- Aetna Inc., Hartford, has picked Patricia Farrell to take over from Brad Fluegel as head of the national accounts business.
Farrell, who has been head of the Aetna government and global business, will continue to manage Medicaid programs and the Aetna global benefits business, Aetna says.
Aetna has given John Webb responsibility for the Aetna government business. Webb, who has been managing Aetna business alliances, will continue to run the alliances as well as the government business, Aetna says.
- Aflac Inc., Columbus, Ga., says it is looking for someone to replace Jeffrey Herbert, who has resigned as senior vice president and chief marketing officer of the company’s U.S. insurance operation.
Herbert, who began working for Aflac in October 2006, cited personal reasons for his departure from the company, Aflac says.
- Sun Life Financial Distributors Inc., Boston, a unit of Sun Life Financial Inc., Toronto, has hired Janet Sweeney to be executive vice president and director of internal sales.
Sweeney previously was a regional sales manager for Putnam Investments, Boston. She has a bachelor’s degree in communications from Boston College.
- AXA Financial Inc., New York, a unit of AXA S.A., Paris, has named Andrew Raftis to be senior vice president of internal audit. He previously was senior vice president of audit coordination and control as well as group Sarbanes Oxley 404 project leader at the parent-company level.
Raftis will succeed Paul Flora, who is retiring.
Raftis has a bachelor of law degree and a bachelor’s degree in economics and business administration from Melbourne University. He also holds a post-graduate degree in commercial law from Monash University in Melbourne.
- The American Council of Life Insurers, Washington, has hired Walter Welsh to be an executive vice president for taxes and retirement security.
Welsh will succeed Ann Cammack, who is leaving the ACLI to take over as senior counsel at Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company, Springfield, Mass.
Welsh has been director of government affairs and corporate relations at Hartford Life, Simsbury, Conn., a unit of Hartford Financial Services Group Inc., Hartford.
Welsh also has worked as a trial lawyer for the Internal Revenue Service, and he is an adjunct professor at the University of Connecticut law school.
Welsh has a bachelor’s degree from Tufts University and a law degree from the University of Connecticut. He has a master of laws degree in taxation from New York University.
- Principal Financial Group Inc., Des Moines, Iowa, has named Tim Stumpff vice president of provider networks for the company’s health division
Stumpff previously was vice president in the company’s capital markets area.
Stumpff has an accounting degree from the University of Missouri – Kansas City and a law degree from Harvard University.