In this article, I am going to walk through the key elements of executing a highly effective seminar. At this point, you have identified your seminar topic and presentation and have worked on an invitation to mail out to your prospects. Assuming those items are in place, this naturally leads us into the three key areas that I want to discuss in further detail.
There are several things that are extremely important when it comes to maximizing attendance for your seminar. Too often, I have seen situations where advisors fail to have systems in place to maximize every individual who responds and wants to attend the seminar. Remember that you are operating in a very competitive market and you are trying to make your firm stand out. Content is the first step, but now we need to begin building the relationship. Below is a checklist of action items to improve your attendance and differentiate yourself.
- Call prospect same day: Have your staff call attendees the moment they reserve a spot for the seminar. In this call, you want to thank them for their reservation and let them know they will receive a packet in the mail.
- Mail packet out same day: After the call, place a packet in the mail that has directions to the location where the event will be, name tags, information about your firm, and any necessary disclosure required.
- Call two days ahead: You want to reach out and confirm reservation for the seminar two days before. This allows you to get a better sense of who will be attending.
- Call day of seminar: The morning of the seminar, reach out to those who you couldn’t reach previously.
- General notes: This should be your minimum amount of time to touch your attendees, because you want them to feel they are getting to know you and your firm before they ever walk into your event.