The most important step in developing a business-to-business marketing strategy is the first one: setting your goals. Why have you decided to invest in marketing? What do you want that investment to achieve for your business?
Here are the 10 goals that belong in your smart marketing strategy and why they matter:
1. Differentiate your firm. In every industry, many companies sell similar products or services. Why is your business different? Why should customers choose you? Stake out a clear position in the marketplace that differentiates your company from others.
2. Tell a compelling story. Marketing is how you tell the story of your business to your prospects. Create a compelling narrative that convinces prospects of your ability to serve their needs and reflects the quality of your people, products and services.
3. Prepare to sell. Marketing plays a major role in facilitating the sales process. Equip your sales team with effective tools to demonstrate your products and services and engage in a meaningful sales dialogue with prospects.
4. Generate leads. Everyone wants to generate new business. Use marketing to deliver relevant messages to your prospects with a great offer that will make them say “tell me more.”
5. Nurture leads. Selling business products and services often involves a lengthy sales cycle. Marketing can help you stay visible with prospects as they make their decision to buy. Send ongoing communications, including solution-oriented content, to demonstrate your understanding of prospects’ needs, your capabilities and your interest in their business.