There are certain secret habits practiced every day by all the highest paid salespeople. The regular pursuit of these habits is virtually guaranteed to move you to the top of your field. Here are 7 simple secrets for achieving your career goals:
1. Get serious. Make a decision to go all the way to the top of your field. Make a decision right now to join the top 10 percent. There is no one and nothing that can hold you back from being the best and achieving your career goals—except you.
2. Determine your weakness. Identify your weakest single skill and vow to become absolutely excellent in that area. Ask yourself “What one skill, if mastered, would have the greatest positive impact on my sales?” Write down the answer, set a deadline, make a plan and work on it every single day. This one decision can change your entire career.
3. Get around the right people. Get around successful people who have a positive attitude. Associate with people who are pursuing their own goals. Remove yourself from those who are negative, critical or complaining. They will drag you down, tire you out, distract and discourage you. You don’t need that.
4. Take care of your physical health. You need high energy levels to sell effectively and bounce back when rejection does occur. Be sure to eat the right foods, exercise and get plenty of rest. And find time for recreation. If you spend every last moment working, you’ll quickly burn out.
5. Visualize yourself at the top. Imagine yourself performing at your best all day long. Imagine how it would feel to achieve your career goals. Feed your subconscious mind with vivid pictures of yourself as positive, confident and competent. Program your subconscious with these clear mental pictures.
6. Practice positive self-talk. Take control of your inner dialogue. Notice if you have a tendency to berate yourself. Try to talk to yourself as you would to a good friend or someone you care deeply about. Be gentle with yourself.
7. Take daily steps toward your career goals. Be proactive; grab the bull by the horns. If you’re not happy with your income, get out there and get face to face with more prospects. Whatever it is that dissatisfies you, accept responsibility for it and make a change.
Successful salespeople are intensely action-oriented. They have a sense of urgency about accomplishing their goals. They have a bias for action and a compulsion for closure. They are in control of their own destinies, and as a result, easily take their places at the top. And there is absolutely no reason you can’t join them there.
Sign up for The Lead and get a new tip in your inbox every day! More tips:
Brian Tracy is the CEO of Brian Tracy International, which specializes in business training, and the author of the best-selling Psychology of Achievement. For more information, go to www.briantracy.com.