It’s been 21 years since I left my corporate marketing job in Washington, DC, to open my own marketing consulting and creative services firm in Cleveland. So to celebrate my company’s 21st anniversary, here are 21 timeless tips for your smart marketing strategy.
11. Every marketer needs print. People still read and study printed materials to make purchasing decisions. Printed brochures, catalogs and direct mail play a critical role in almost every organization’s marketing strategy.
12. Every marketer needs social media. With half the planet on social media, you can’t afford to be left out of the conversation. Identify the social media platforms where your customers congregate and join them.
13. Your website is your most important marketing real estate. A company’s website plays a part in nearly every purchasing decision nowadays. If you want people to do business with you, your website must be great.
14. Simplicity sells. No one has the time or energy to figure out your marketing. The best marketing messages are simple and clear. Even if your product or service is complex, marketing should make things easier to understand, not harder.
15. Show what you know. If you market professional services, your knowledge is your most important point of differentiation. Don’t promote what you do; show prospects what you know and how your expertise can address their challenges.
16. Use testimonials. Your customers’ words help make your claims credible. Ask customers to help tell your story by describing their experience in testimonials and case studies.