What’s the use of LinkedIn’s Company Follow feature? That’s a question we asked ourselves the first time we heard about it. But then with closer investigation, it became clear.
When you follow a company on LinkedIn, you can be notified when:
- Employees join, leave or are promoted.
- There are new job opportunities.
- The company profile changes.
When could this be interesting or helpful?
- If you are in sales or purchasing, you might like to be informed if your contact person changes position or leaves the company. You can then ask to be introduced to that person’s replacement so you can continue to work together.
- If you are in sales and it was not possible to do business with a company in the past because you didn’t “click” with the purchaser, you might have another chance when that person changes position or leaves the organization.
- If you are looking for a new job, you can be informed when your favorite organizations post a job.
Here’s how to set this up:
- Go to “Companies” in the top menu.
- Look for the company or organization that interests you.
- On the company profile page, click on “Follow company.”
- When you see “Stop following,” click on the small arrow and choose “Notification settings.”
- Fine-tune your updates and how you want them delivered (for example, via “Network updates” and/or daily or weekly email).
This helpful LinkedIn tool will help you keep abreast of the changes at your favorite companies.