People who make their goals reality often do several things differently than people who set goals and fail. To set yourself up for success, you need to:
1. Get specific. When you set yourself a goal, try to be as specific as possible
2. Seize the moment to act on your goals. Decide when and where you will take each action you want to take, in advance.
3. Know exactly how far you have left to go. Check your progress frequently — weekly, or even daily, depending on the goal.
4. Be a realistic optimist. Believe in your ability to succeed, but don’t underestimate how difficult it will be to reach your goal.
5. Focus on getting better, rather than being good. People whose goals are about getting better, rather than being good, take difficulty in stride, and appreciate the journey as much as the destination.