Close Close

Retirement Planning > Retirement Investing

Research Finds State-Local Pensions Below Key Retirement Benchmark

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.

Most households with individuals employed in state and local government can expect to receive at retirement well below the 80% of pre-retirement income needed to maintain their pre-retirement living standards, according to new research.

The Center for Retirement Research at Boston Col­lege published this finding in a November brief, “How Prepared Are State and Local Workers for Retirement.” The brief summarizes the results of a paper that uses a Health and Retirement Study and actuarial reports published by state and local pension systems to examine whether state and local workers have more than enough money for retirement.

Households with a long-service state-local workers—those who spend more than half of their careers in public employment—have a medi­an “replacement rate,” including Social Security, of only 72%, the brief finds. The research defines replacement rate as the extent to which older people can maintain pre-retirement levels of consumption once they stop working.

The above group, the brief adds, accounts for less than 30% of households with a state-local worker. The remaining 70% of households with a short- or medium-tenure state-local worker have replacement rates of 48% and 57%, respectively. Add­ing income from financial assets still leaves most households short of the target, the brief says.

Data from the actuarial reports provide part of the explanation for these lower-than-anticipated replace­ment rates, the brief says.

Only 32% of workers who leave state-local employment each year claim an immediate benefit. These individuals have more than 20 years of service on average and receive a benefit equal to 49% of their pre-retirement earnings.

But another 27% leave state-local employment with a de­ferred benefit based on earnings at termination, which will decline in value between termination and claiming as wages and prices rise. As a result, the brief finds, the benefit will amount to less than 10% of their projected earnings at retirement.


© 2024 ALM Global, LLC, All Rights Reserved. Request academic re-use from All other uses, submit a request to [email protected]. For more information visit Asset & Logo Licensing.