The American Council of Life Insurers has hired Brian Waidmann to be chief of staff.
Waidmann has been a chief of staff at the U.S. Department of the Interior, a senior advisor to President George W. Bush, a special assistant to President George Herbert Walker Bush, and an advisor and staff manager for three U.S. senators, according to the ACLI, Washington.
Waidmann has a bachelor’s degree from the University of Colorado.
In other insurance industry personnel news:
- The Life Insurance Council of New York Inc. (LICONY), New York, has named Jana Lee Pruitt executive vice president.
Pruitt was previously senior vice president at LICONY.
Pruitt has a bachelor’s degree from the University of Kentucky and a law degree from the University of Louisville. She holds the Chartered Life Underwriter and Chartered Financial Consultant professional designations.
- Ernst & Young L.L.P., New York, has hired Dave Hollander to be the principal and insurance advisory practice leader in its New York office.
Hollander previously spent 27 years at Accenture, New York. He founded Accenture’s global insurance solutions group.
He also has been chief executive officer of Unirisx L.L.C., Radnor, Pa., an insurance policy processing software company.
Hollander has a bachelor’s degree in economics from the University of Pennsylvania.
- Symetra Financial Corp., Bellevue, Wash. (NYSE:SYA), has hired Glenn Black to be vice president and leader of the company’s tax department.
Black previousled the corporate tax department at the Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association-College Retirement Equities Fund (TIAA-CREF), New York.
Black has a bachelor’s degree from Southern Illinois University. He holds the Certified Public Accountant and Fellow of the Life Management Institute professional designations.
Symetra also has picked James Clement to be a regional group sales manager for medical stop-loss, group life and disability insurance in Symetra’s West Central Region, which includes Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma and Missouri.
Symetra has picked Kelley Symons to be a regional sales director for fixed-indemnity limited benefit medical products in the Midwest Region, which includes Colorado, Iowa, Illinois, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin.
Clement and Symons are based in Kansas City, Mo.
- Western & Southern Financial Group, Cincinnati, has hired
James Butsko to be a senior regional vice president for financial institutions at its national wholesale distribution agency, W&S Financial Group Distributors Inc.,
Butsko will work in the region that includes Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia and the District of Columbia.
Butsko previously was a a regional vice president for annuity distribution at ING U.S., a unit of ING Groep N.V., Amsterdam.
Butsko has a bachelor’s degree in business and a master’s degree in business from the University of Toledo. He holds the Certified Financial Planner, Chartered Life Underwriter and Chartered Financial Consultant professional designations.
- Great-West Retirement Services, Greenwood Village, Colo., a unit of Power Corp. of Canada, Montreal, has hired Adam Blitz to be regional sales director for Long Island, N.Y.
Blitz previoiusly was a regional vice president for the New York area at a unit of Lincoln National Corp., Radnor, Pa. (NYSE:LNC).
Blitz has a master’s degree in business from Adelphi University.
- Assurant Inc., New York (NYSE:AIZ), has hired Alan Colberg to be executive vice president, marketing and business development.
Colberg the founder and former head of the Atlanta office of Bain & Company Inc.
Colberg has a bachelor’s degree from the University of Pennsylvania and a master’s degree in business from Harvard University.
- HighRoads Inc., Woburn, Mass., a health regulation compliance firm, has hired Eric Parmenter to be a vice president and senior principal.
Parmenter previously was the leader of te middle-market health and group benefits business at Towers Watson & Company, New York (NYSE:TW).
Parmenter has a bachelor’s degree in psychology from the University of Illinois and a master’s degree in business from the University of Chicago. He holds the Certified Employee Benefit Specialist professional designation.