Conseco Inc. has named Christopher Nickele president of a new Other CNO Business unit.
The Other CNO Business will handled closed blocks of Conseco Insurance Group business, which account for about two-thirds of the unit’s capital, according to Conseco, Carmel, Ind. (NYSE:CNO).
Conseco will report results for Washington Nation, which still has open blocks of business, separately from the results for the closed-block unit, Conseco says. The company will continue to break out results for two other units that are still selling new products, Bankers Life and Casualty Company and Colonial Penn Life Insurance Company.
Nickele has been executive vice president, product management, Conseco, and he will keep that title when he becomes president of the closed-block unit, Conseco says.
In other personnel changes news:
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Georgia Inc., Atlanta, a unit of WellPoint Inc., Indianapolis (NYSE:WLP), says Monye Connolly, the president of the company, “will be leaving the company of her own accord in order to devote more time to her family and pursue other interests.”
Connolly has been president of Georgia Blue since 2006
- Aflac Inc., Columbus, Ga. (NYSE:AFL), has promoted Thomas Giddens to senior vice president, co-director of sales.
Giddens has been director of the Aflact’s Southeast director. He will “work in tandem with Ronald S. Sanders, senior vice president, director of sales, to strengthen Aflac’s position as the market leader of supplemental insurance,” Aflac says.
Giddens was subsequently named Southeast territory director in 2009 where his team leads in sales.
– Hartford Life, Simsbury, Conn., a unit of Hartford Financial Services Group Inc., Hartford (NYSE:HIG), has hired Dr. Robert Pokorski, a medical underwriting expert, to be the chief medical strategist for the individual life division.
Pokorski has published many articles on longevity and insurability, and, in 1995, he was chairman of the medical section at the American Council of Life Insurance, Washington.
Pokorski has a medical degree from Creighton University and master’s degree in business from Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh, Scotland.
- MetLife Inc., New York (NYSE:MET), has promoted Nicholas Latrenta to general counsel, from senior chief counsel.
Latrenta succeeds James Lipscomb, who has retired.
Latrenta has a bachelor’s degree in business from the College of Insurance and a law degree from Seton Hall University. He holds the Fellow of the Life Management Institute and Chartered Life Underwriter professional designations.
- WellCare Health Plans Inc., Tampa, Fla. (NYSE:WCG), has promoted Michael Cotton to president, national health plans.
Cotton has been president of the health insurer’s South Division. He has a bachelor’s degree from Franklin University and a master’s degree in business from Cleveland State University.
- Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company, Springfield, Mass., has hired Wayne Roth to be director of worksite solutions on the retirement services division client management team.
Roth previously worked for Principal Financial Group Inc., Des Moines, Iowa (NYSE:PFG).
The MassMutual retirement services division also has hired Molly Knapp to be the managing director covering northern California and Alaska. She has been working for AUL Retirement Services, a division of OneAmerica Financial Partners Inc., Indianapolis.
The division has named J.F. Mannina to be a relationship manager for the New York area. He has been an investments management director in the division.
- Longfellow Benefits Inc., Boston, has hired Colleen Grady to be a benefits consultant and Robin Blue to be an executive assistant in the executive benefits division.
Grady has been a benefits specialist at Bain & Company Inc., Boston. She has a bachelor’s degree in communications from Boston College and a master’s degree in human resources management from Boston University. She holds the Certified Employee Benefits professional designation.
Blue holds the Fellow, Life Management Institute professional designation.
- DMW Direct L.L.C., Wayne, Pa., a direct response advertising agency that sells its services to insurers, has hired Steve Kunkel to be vice president of business development. Kunkel previously was client services director at Vlog Adoodle, Ann Arbor, Mich.