American International Group Inc. has hired Christina Pretto to be vice president of corporate media relations.
Pretto previously was managing director and global head of public affairs at Citigroup Inc., New York. She also has been director of communications at Standard & Poor’s, New York.
Pretto has a bachelor’s degree in political science from the University of Wisconsin.
In other personnel news:
- Nippon Life Insurance Company of America, New York, a unit of Nippon Life Insurance Company, Osaka, has hired Gerald Patterson to be chief operating officer.
Patterson previously was vice president and chief marketing officer in the life and health group segment at Principal Financial Group Inc., Des Moines, Iowa.
Patterson succeeds Christopher Reddy, who has become chief administration officer at Principal’s Principal Global Investors unit.
Patterson has a bacehlor’s degree in accounting from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. He has a law degree from Drake.
- Pacific Life Insurance Company, a unit of Pacific LifeCorp., Newport Beach, Calif., has named Dewey Bushaw to succeed Bill Robinson as the executive vice president in charge of the Pacific Life annuities and mutual funds division.
Robinson has retired.
Pacific Life also has promoted Chris van Mierlo to chief marketing officer and senior vice president at the unit, from vice president for national accounts; John White to vice president, sales, from vice president, internal wholesaling; and Christine Tucker to vice president, marketing, from assistant vice president.
Kathleen McWard, vice president, marketing, and Robert Bruno, vice president, national sales manager, have retired.
Jack Hunter will be in charge of the regional-wirehouse channel; Stuart Holland, of the independent planner channel; and George Paulik, of the bank/financial institutions channel.
- The retirement services division at American United Life Insurance Company, a unit of OneAmerica Financial Partners Inc., Indianapolis, has hired James Daniel to be regional vice president for 403(b) plan sales in the Southern region and Michael Woomer to be vice president for consulting services.
Daniel previously was executive vice president of corporate retirement plan distribution at Symetra Financial Corp., Bellevue, Wash.
Daniel will be based in Nashville, Tenn.
Woomer, who will be based in Boston, has been a retirement sales manager at a unit of Charles Schwab Corp., San Francisco.
- The National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors, Falls Church, Va., has hired Paul Wessel to be vice president of finance and facilities.
Wessel previously was a partner at Tatum L.L.C., Washington
He has been chief financial officer at Smithsonian Business Ventures, Washington and at Rodale Press Inc., Emmaus, Pa.
- Pepe & Hazard L.L.P., Hartford, has named Harvey Sigelbaum counsel.
Sigelbaum previously worked with Tyler Cooper & Alcorn L.L.P., New Haven, Conn.
From 1996 to 2006, he was president of MultiPlan Inc., New York, a provider network company.
Sigelbaum also has been president of Amalgamated Life Insurance Company, New York.
He has a bachelor’s degree from the University of Miami and a law degree from Brooklyn
Sigelbaum is a past chairman of the National Cooperative Bank, the New York State Insurance Department Advisory Council and the National Association on Drug Abuse Problems. He has served on the executive committee of America’s Health Insurance Plans, Washington.
President Clinton appointed Sigelbaum to the board of the Overseas Private Investment Corp.
- R.E. Harper Associates L.L.C., Harrisburg, Pa., a financial consulting firm, has hired Robert DeSousa to be general counsel.
DeSousa previously was chief executive officer of Vartan Group Inc., Harrisburg.
DeSousa also serves as a lieutenant colonel in the Judge Advocate General’s Corp of the Pennsylvania Army National Guard. He recently completed a combat tour of duty in Iraq.
DeSousa has served in the federal government as an assistant U.S. attorney and with Pennsylvania as chief counsel of the Department of State and as the state’s inspector general.
DeSousa has a bachelor’s degree from Bucknell University and a law degree from Pennsylvania State University. He serves on the board of the National Civil War Museum in Harrisburg.
- Locke Lord Bissell & Liddell L.P., Atlanta, has named Mark Freitag partner.
Freitag, who has been an associate in the office, works on life settlement and premium finance matters.
Freitag has a bachelor’s degree in government from Harvard University and a law degree from the University of Virginia.
- AvMed Inc., Miami, has hired Susan Knapp Pinnas to be senior vice president of network.
Knapp Pinnas previously was president for the South Florida and the Caribbean for the managed care arm of CIGNA Corp., Philadelphia.
- The Stamford, Conn., office of Aon Consulting, a unit of Aon Corp., Chicago, has hired Joseph Clouse to be senior vice president and Northeast regional leader of business development.
Clouse previously was East Coast U.S. consulting sales and accounting management leader at Hewitt Associates L.L.C., Lincolnshire, Ill.
Clouse has a bachelor’s degree in marketing from Pennsylvania State University.
- Summit Reinsurance Services Inc., Fort Wayne, Ind., a managing underwriter in the reinsurance market, has hired Linda Beckman to be managed care coordinator, self-funded markets.
Beckman, who will be based in Minneapolis, previously was excess risk medical case manager for stop-loss insurance a U.S. unit of ING Groep N.V., Amsterdam.