Close Close
Popular Financial Topics Discover relevant content from across the suite of ALM legal publications From the Industry More content from ThinkAdvisor and select sponsors Investment Advisor Issue Gallery Read digital editions of Investment Advisor Magazine Tax Facts Get clear, current, and reliable answers to pressing tax questions
Luminaries Awards

Life Health > Life Insurance

Ask the expert: Do I need a special license?

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.

The question was: I am a life insurance agent and would like to advise my clients of the secondary market for life insurance. Am I required to obtain a special license?

The answer is: In most states, your life license is sufficient to transact business as long as you file your intention to do so with the appropriate department of insurance.

In other states, you would need to apply for a life settlement broker license.

You should contact the department of insurance in your state about their specific licensing requirements.

Michael Freedman
Senior Vice President, Government Affairs
Fort Washington, Pa.
[email protected]


© 2024 ALM Global, LLC, All Rights Reserved. Request academic re-use from All other uses, submit a request to [email protected]. For more information visit Asset & Logo Licensing.