Cold calling is the least favorite way of prospecting for most advisors. Those who can, avoid it altogether. But if cold calling is a necessity, there are ways to do it well. Brian Maroevich of Insurance-Leads-Advisor.com offers these tips for cold calling:
- Make sure the list is up to date.
- Know what you are going to say and what objections may arise.
- Smile like the person is in the room with you. Smiles can be “heard” over the phone.
- Get to the point.
- Know the business you are calling.
- Know who you are talking to.
- Acknowledge their time constraints.
- Make a guarantee.
- Confirm the appointment.
Maroevich says shortcuts are appointment killers, so practice the activities that feel least comfortable. His best advice is to graduate to a series of prospecting letters as soon as the budget allows and leave cold calling behind for good.