The U.S. Office of Personnel Management has promoted Kay Ely to be associate director for the human resources products and services division.
The division administers retirement and insurance services for the federal government.
Ely previously was deputy associate director at the OPM center for contracting for facilities and administrative services, which is in the OPM management services division.
Before Ely began working for the federal government, she was a speech pathologist.
Ely has a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree in speech pathology from Phillips University, and she has a master’s degree in management from Webster University.
In other personnel news:
- AIG VALIC, Houston, a unit of American International Group Inc., New York, has hired Greg Garvin to be executive vice president of independent distribution.
Garvin will run a new division that will focus on the independent distribution channel, AIG VALIC says.
Garvin previously was president of the Security Distributors arm of Security Benefit Life Insurance Company, Topeka, Kan.
Garvin has a bachelor’s degree in accounting and finance from Siena College. He holds the Certified Public Accountant professional designation.
In related news, the specialty markets group at AIG American General, another AIG unit, has hired John Gatesman to be president of the affluent and corporate markets group.
Gatesman previously worked at the executive benefits unit at MetLife Inc., New York.
Gatesman has a bachelor’s degree in marketing from Indiana University of Pennsylvania.
- National Financial Partners Corp., New York, has hired Daniel Young to be president and chief operating officer of NFP Securities Inc., NFP’s broker-dealer.
Young previously was president of NYLIFE Securities, a broker-dealer subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company, New York, and Eagle Strategies, New York Life’s registered investment advisor.
Young has a bachelor’s degree in political science from Stanford University and a law degree from the University of Chicago.
- Jackson National Life Insurance Company, Lansing, Mich., a unit of Prudential P.L.C., London, has promoted Kevin Grant to senior vice president of business planning services for the Jackson National Life Distributors L.L.C. unit.
Grant previously was vice president of business planning services at the unit.
Grant has a bachelor’s degree in business administration and quantitative analysis from the University of Arkansas.
- The Conseco Insurance Group unit at Conseco Inc., Carmel, Ind., has named Michael Mosher senior director of field sales for Conseco Worksite.
Mosher previously was a territory sales manager for Colonial Supplemental Insurance, a unit of Unum, Chattanooga, Tenn.
Mosher has a bachelor’s degree in marketing from the University of Northern Iowa.
- Unum, Chattanooga, Tenn., has promoted Kathy Owen to chief information officer for its Unum US division.
Owen previously was senior vice president of information technology business applications.
Unum also has promoted Brent Rogers to chief technology officer for Unum US, from senior vice president of operations and corporate systems.
- CIGNA HealthCare, a unit of CIGNA Corp., Philadelphia, has hired Sue Podbielski to be president and general manager for health care operations in the Midwest region, which includes Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Podbielski, who will be based in Chicago, previously was general manager of the large group business unit at UniCare, a division of WellPoint Inc., Indianapolis.
Podbielski has a bachelor’s degree in finance from the University of Louisville in Kentucky.
- American Specialty Health Inc., San Diego, has hired Pamela Lauper to be chief sales officer.
Lauper previously was vice president of strategic accounts at Kaiser Permanente, Oakland, Calif.
Lauper has a bachelor’s degree from Tampa College. She is a former president of the Northern California International Society of Certified Employee Benefits.
- AvMed Health Plans Inc., Miami, has hired James Scheib to be sales director for the Orlando, Fla., and Tampa, Fla., regions.