Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company has hired Stephen Deschenes to be senior vice president and chief marketing officer at the company’s retirement income group.
Deschenes previously was executive vice president and head of product management at Fidelity Investments Life Insurance Company, a unit of Fidelity Investments, Boston.
Deschenes also was the founding president of mPower Advisors L.L.C., San Francisco, a Web-based retirement plan advice service.
Earlier in his career, Deschenes was director of special operations at Newsweek, where he started the Newsweek on Health and Newsweek on the Family supplements.
Deschenes has a bachelor’s degree from Harvard University, where he was the publisher of the Harvard Lampoon.
In other personnel news:
- Lincoln National Corp., Philadelphia, has announced several executive changes at its Lincoln Financial Distributors Inc. unit.
The company has hired Alyce Shaw to be head of internal sales at the unit.
Shaw previously was head of the annuity sales desk at the U.S. operations of ING Groep N.V., Amsterdam.
Shaw has a bachelor’s degree in business and finance from Mount Saint Mary’s University.
Lincoln also has promoted Jeffrey Grant to senior national sales manager for the variable annuity wire/regional channel, and it has promoted R. Kirk North to senior national sales manager for the Edward Jones Choice Plus channel.
Grant previously was national sales manager for the VA independent planner channel.
He has a bachelor’s degree in business administration from the University of Missouri
North was Eastern Division sales manager for the American Legacy independent planner channel.
He has a bachelor’s degree from Radford University.
- Mutual of Omaha Insurance Company, Omaha, Neb., has hired David Ahrendt to be vice president of the company’s retirement services area.
Ahrendt previously was vice president of retirement plans at Lincoln.
Ahrendt has a bachelor’s degree in accounting from Ohio University and a law degree from Capital Law School.
- Western & Southern Financial Group, Cincinnati, has promoted John O’Connell to senior vice president for the broker-dealer sales channel at Integrity Life Insurance Company.
O’Connell previously was the divisional vice president for the Northeast Division.
- Jackson National Life Insurance Company, Lansing, Mich., a unit of Prudential P.L.C., London, has hired Greg Mahalich to be divisional vice president-east for the Jackson National Life Distributors L.L.C. regional broker-dealer channel.
Mahalich previously was in charge of 20 wholesalers and 2 divisional vice presidents, Allianz Life Insurance Company of North America, Golden Valley, Minn., a unit of Allianz S.E., Munich.
Mahalich has a bachelor’s degree from the University of Minnesota.
- Conseco Inc., Carmel, Ind., has hired Thomas Barta to be senior vice president for financial planning and analysis.
Barta previously was vice president and senior finance director for distribution at Allianz Life.
Barta has a bachelor’s degree in accounting and a master’s degree in business from the University of Minnesota. He is a fellow of the Life Management Institute and holds the Certified Public Accountant and Chartered Life Underwriter professional designations.
Barta will succeed David Barra, who is becoming senior vice president for internal audit.
Joseph Clarke, a vice president for financial planning and analysis at Conseco, will take on additional responsibility for investor relations and relationships with rating agencies, Conseco says.
- Health Net Inc., Los Angeles, has hired Joseph Capezza to be chief financial officer.
Capezza, who has been chief financial officer of Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, Wellesley, Mass., will succeed James Woys, who has been Health Net’s interim CFO since November 2006.
Woys is president of the Health Net government and specialty services division.
Anthony Piszel, Health Net’s previous permanent CFO, left to become CFO of the Federal Home Loan and Mortgage Corp., McLean, Va.
- Connecture Inc., Atlanta, has hired Mike Lambert to be chief financial officer.
Lambert previously was the business sector controller at ChoicePoint Precision Marketing, a division of ChoicePoint Inc., Alpharetta, Ga.
Lambert has a bachelor’s degree in accounting from Wake Forest University.
He holds the Certified Public Accountant professional designation.
- Enwisen Inc., Novato, Calif., an employee communications company, has promoted Barbara Levin to senior vice president for marketing and customer community, from vice president of marketing.