Nationwide Financial Services Inc. has hired Michael Hamilton to be president of two broker-dealer units: 1717 Capital Management Company and Nationwide Securities Inc.
Hamilton also will be vice president of retail distribution at the Nationwide Financial Network, Nationwide’s retail distribution business, according to Nationwide, Columbus, Ohio.
Hamilton previously was president of Penncorp Life Insurance Company, Mississauga, Ontario, a unit of La Capitale Civil Service Mutual, Quebec City, Quebec.
Hamilton also has been a divisional director for the Southeast region at Jackson National Life Insurance Company, Lansing, Mich., a unit of Prudential P.L.C., London.
Hamilton has a bachelor’s degree in business administration from Norwich University, the Military College of Vermont.
While serving in the U.S. Army, Hamilton trained and led 45 soldiers during Operation Desert Storm. He was the lead platoon during the Battle of the 73 Easting. He was awarded the Bronze Star for Valor and received a Presidential Citation.
In other personnel news:
- Swiss Re Capital Management & Advisory, New York, a unit of Swiss Reinsurance Company, Zurich, has hired Jamshid Ehsani to help it design vehicles that life insurance companies can use to reward investors for assuming mortality risk and longevity risk.
Ehsani previously was president and chief risk officer at InsCap Management L.L.C., New York, a specialty finance company.
Ehsani is a past president of Marsh McLennan Securities and MMC Enterprise Risk, units of Marsh & McLennan Companies Inc., New York. He also spent 10 years at the World Bank, Washington. At one point, he was responsible for assessing the credit worthiness of Colombia.
Ehsani has a master’s degree in econometrics from University of Paris II, a post master’s degree from the Ecole Nationale Superieure du Petrole et des Moteurs, and a doctorate in energy economics from Sorbonne University.
- Scottish Re Group Ltd., Hamilton, Bermuda, has hired George Zippel to be president and global chief executive officer.
Paul Goldean, the executive who has been president and CEO of Scottish Re for the past year, will take the title of chief administrative officer, Scottish Re says.
Zippel was president of the protection segment at Genworth Financial Inc., Richmond, Va., from 2004 until earlier this year. He recently completed a term as a director of the American Council of Life Insurers, Washington.
Zippel was president of First Colony Life Insurance Company, Lynchburg, Va., when GE Financial, the business that became Genworth, acquired First Colony back in 1999.
Zippel has a bachelor’s degree in economics from Hamilton College.
- AXA Equitable Life Insurance Company, New York, a unit of AXA S.A., Paris, has promoted Barbara Goodstein to chief innovation officer.
Goodstein, who has been executive vice president of marketing, will continue to be in charge of marketing and advertising, and she also will be responsible for the company’s retirement services program.
Goodstein has a bachelor’s degree from Brown University and a master’s degree in marketing from Columbia University.
- Assurant Inc., New York, has named John Roberts to be interim president and chief executive officer of the Assurant Employee Benefits unit.
Michael Peninger, the president of the unit, now is serving as interim chief financial officer at the parent company, to fill in for an executive who is on administrative leave.
Roberts has been president of Assurant’s Disability RMS risk management unit and a senior vice president of the benefits unit.
Roberts has a bachelor’s degree in economics from Bowdoin College. He is a past chairman of the disability subcommittee at the old Health Insurance Association of America, Washington. He is now treasurer for the Portland Museum of Art in Portland, Maine.
- Old Mutual Financial Network, Baltimore, has hired Richard Pollard to be senior vice president and chief actuary.
Pollard previously was chief operating officer of Scottish Re Group Ltd., Hamilton, Bermuda.
Pollard has a bachelor’s degree in actuarial science from Georgia State University. He is a fellow of the Society of Actuaries and an associate of the Society of Actuaries in Ireland.
- Guardian Life Insurance Company of America, New York, has hired Margaret Skinner to be executive vice president of individual products distribution.
Skinner previously was senior vice president for life and health distribution at Principal Financial Group Inc., Des Moines, Iowa.
- AIG SunAmerica Retirement Markets Inc., Los Angeles, a unit of American International Group Inc., New York, has hired George Veazey to be senior vice president and national sales manager for the wirehouse sales channel.
Veazey previously was acting national sales manager at Prudential Financial Inc., Newark, N.J.
From 2000 to 2002, Veazey managed AIG SunAmerica’s Seasons Select sales efforts in the wirehouse distribution channel.
Veazey has a bachelor’s in business from the University of Oklahoma.
- Principal Financial Group Inc., Des Moines, Iowa, has promoted Art Bacci to president of Principal Bank.
Bacci has been president of Principal Trust Company, Wilmington, Del., and he will continue to hold that title, Principal says.
Bacci will take over at the bank unit from Barrie Christman, who will be vice president of the individual investor segment in Principal’s retirement and investor services division.
Christman will continue to be chairman and chief executive officer both of Principal Bank and of Principal Trust Company.
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota, Eagan, Minn., has promoted Frank Fernandez to vice president of government programs.
Fernandez, a lawyer, previously was a government programs and Medicare attorney at Minnesota Blue.
Fernandez also has been executive director of the Nevada Association of Health Plans, Las Vegas.
Fernandez has a bachelor’s degree in political science from Arizona State University and a law degree from Hamline University.
- The Financial Planning Association, Denver, has hired Daniel Barry to be director of government relations.
Barry is a New York lawyer who previously was director of regulatory policy at the Federal National Mortgage Association, Washington.
- Financial Research Corp., Boston, has promoted Luis Fleites to director of retirement markets.
Fleites has been a research partner at the firm.
Fleites has a bachelor’s degree from the College of William and Mary and a master’s degree in business from Boston University.
- The American College, Bryn Mawr, Pa., has hired Jeffrey Daniels to be director of training and sales.
Daniels has a bachelor’s degree from West Chester University. He holds the Chartered Financial Consultant and Chartered Life Underwriter professional designations.
- Renaissance Life & Health Insurance Company of America, Okemos, Mich., a unit of Renaissance Health Service Corp., has hired Andy Berli to be a sales representative in the company’s regional sales office in Alpharetta, Ga.
The office will serve employers in Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina.
Berli has a bachelor’s degree in international business and German from the University of Georgia.