Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company has named Gary Poliner to be its new chief investment officer.
Poliner has been the chief financial officer at Northwestern Mutual, Milwaukee, and will continue to hold that title.
Mason Ross, the current chief investment officer, will retire from the post April 30. He has been working for Northwestern Mutual for 35 years.
In other personnel news:
- Aviva P.L.C., London, has named Tom Godlasky to be chief executive of Aviva North America. Godlasky is now chief executive of Aviva USA.
- Conseco Inc., Carmel, Ind., has hired Edward Bonach to be its executive vice president and chief financial officer. He will succeed Eugene Bullis, who is retiring.
Bonach previously was the CFO at National Life Group, Montpelier, Vt.
- UnitedHealth Group Inc., Minnetonka, Minn., has hired Thomas Strickland to be chief legal officer and an executive vice president.
Strickland has been managing partner of the Colorado offices of Hogan and Hartson L.L.P., Washington, where he served as outside legal counsel for UnitedHealth.
- BlueCrossBlueShield of South Carolina, Columbia, S.C., has named David Pankau to be president of its BlueCross BlueShield division.
Pankau previously ran the company’s major group department.
Pankau succeeds Thomas Faulds, who is retiring after 35 years South Carolina Blue.
- Aon Consulting, the human resources consulting unit of Aon Corp., Chicago, has named Susan Alford, an executive vice president, national defined-contribution practice leader.
Alford had been regional director of the Southeast operating unit for Aon’s employee benefits consulting group.
- Health Net Federal Services, the government operations division of Health Net Inc., Sacramento, Calif., has named Donna Hoffmeier to be the veterans affairs program officer. She has been the division’s public and government affairs officer:
Hoffmeier succeeds Robert Perreault, who has retired.
The division also named Kelly Craven as public and government affairs officer in its Arlington, Va., office. She had previously been deputy staff director for the House Committee on Veterans Affairs.
- New York Life International L.L.C., Hong Kong, a unit of New York Life Insurance Company, says Allan Roney has succeeded Lyndon McMullen as president and representative director for its Korean subsidiary, New York Life Insurance Ltd.
- Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company, Springfield, Mass., has named Ricardo Calderon chief operating officer of its MassMutual International L.L.C. subsidiary.
Calderon previously was associate general counsel of the MassMutual corporate law division.
Calderon has a bachelor’s degree from the State University of New York at Binghamton and a law degree from the University of Pennsylvania.
- The U.S. Department of Labor has appointed 5 new members to the 15-member Advisory Council on Employee Welfare and Pension Benefit Plans.
One of the new members of the council, which is known as the ERISA Advisory Council, represents investment counselors, and one represents actuarial counselors.
Patricia Brambley, president of Resources for Retirement, Newtown, Pa., is the representative for the investment counseling industry. Resources for Retirement is a unit of National Penn Bancshares Inc., Boyertown, Pa.
Elizabeth Dill will represent actuaries. She works in the Los Angeles office of Mercer Human Resource Consulting L.L.C., a unit of Marsh & McLennan Companies Inc., New York.