Most marketing efforts involve finding the right clients, but to do so, you need the right staff members to attract and retain those clients. In his latest words of wisdom, Dan Sullivan addresses the issue of finding the right people to work for you.–Editor
Every entrepreneur has a vision of being surrounded by “great people.” These are individuals on their team– actual or wished for–who provide extraordinary support and are always growing in their ability to take on new challenges and responsibility.
Yet one of the biggest complaints from many entrepreneurs is, “I just can’t get great people.” Or, “There aren’t any great people in my area.” These comments point to the fact that something is missing in these entrepreneurs’ approach to their support teams.
The five qualities of a “great” entrepreneurial organization
At The Strategic Coach*, we have a rule when it comes to starting and growing a support team: “Great people only want to work for entrepreneurs who make things greater.” By “greater,” we mean five things:
- The entrepreneur has a vision for the business that is much greater than what exists right now.
- The entrepreneur will continually delegate what he or she is doing right now in order to move on to activities that produce greater revenues, profits, and opportunities for the business.
- The challenges, responsibilities, and rewards of the offered position are greater than what the person has right now.
- These will continue becoming greater in the future.
- His or her “ownership”–that is, authority for decision-making and creativity–will continually be greater as the company grows.
When you can confidently offer these five things, great people will be attracted. If you can’t make these things greater, they will stay away.
An exercise in attracting greatness