NU Online News Service, Sept. 14, 11:58 a.m. – More details emerged today of the losses suffered by businesses with offices in the World Trade Center attacks, according to CBS.MarketWatch.com and company reports.
Morgan Stanley has accounted for the vast majority of its employees after having feared far worse in the wake of the attacks, CBS.MarketWatch.com says.
Cantor Fitzgerald has also added to its count of survivors. However, in broadcast interviews, the chairman of the company said there was no evidence that any of the company’s employees who were in the top floors of one of the towers escaped, according to CBS.MarketWatch.com.
The following is the latest available update from the affected companies’ officials:
Morgan Stanley Dean Witter
“We had about 2,500 people in 2 World Trade Center and 1,000 people in 5 World Trade Center,” says CEO Philip Purcell. “Miraculously, it appears the vast majority got out safely.”
As of Friday morning, there had been no confirmed deaths, but the status of 10 employees was still unknown, down from more than 500 unaccounted for on Wednesday, CBS.MarketWatch.com says.
Morgan Stanley reported injuries to 50 of the surviving employees.
The securities firm occupied floors 101-105 of the North Tower, also known as 1 World Trade Center, and has reported locating 320 of the 1,000 employees stationed in the building, according to CBS.MarketWatch.com. Cantor will update the list throughout the day at http://www.cantorusa.com/.
“At this point, we have no confirmed information on employees having been rescued from our floors,” says Cantor Fitzgerald Chairman Howard Lutnick. “We expect to publish a verified list on Friday. I would direct all family members and friends to any one of our Web sites, which have the most updated information available.”
In a Friday morning note on the brokerage firm’s Web site, CEO David Komansky and President Stanley O’Neal said that three of its employees remain unaccounted for and one “has tentatively been identified as deceased.”