In 2010 (the latest year for which national data is available), the suicide rate in the general population was 11 per 100,000, according to Health.com. Among older men, the suicide rates were:
- 33.2 per 100,000 among white men 45-64 years old
- 32.4 per 100,000 among white men 65+ years old
- 44.08 per 100,000 among white men 80+ years old
White men (WM) consistently had higher rates of suicide than black men (BM).
- In the 65+ age group, the WM:BM ratio was 3.84:1
- In the 80+ age group, the WM:BM ratio was 5.03:1
Source for male statistics: Alan Berman, Ph.D., executive director of the American Association of Suicidology, Washington, D.C.