More On Legal & Compliancefrom The Advisor's Professional Library
- Regulatory Oversight of Investment Advisors Although the regulatory environment is in a state of flux, it is imperative that RIAs adhere to their compliance obligations. To ensure compliance, RIAs and IARs must fully understand what those obligations are.
- Best Practices for Working with Senior Investors Securities examiners deal harshly with RIAs that do not fulfill their fiduciary obligations toward senior investors, as the SEC and state securities regulators view older investors as particularly vulnerable and in need of protection.
In the nine years that Investment Advisor has published the IA 25, we’ve never ranked the 25 most influential people in and around the advisor universe in the order of their importance. This year, however, it would be hard to argue with the choice of Mary Schapiro as the most influential person in the professional lives of advisors. The SEC chairman has stood at the center of implementing the most wide-ranging legislation to affect the financial services world since, possibly, the Investment Advisers Act of 1940.
Schapiro may arguably be the most influential person on this year's list, but she's in good company. The 2011 IA 25 includes political powerhouses like Phyllis Borzi and Rep. Spencer Bachus, and industry leaders like Ken Fisher and Mohamed El-Erian.
Two years ago at the Morningstar Investment Conference, Mohamed El-Erian of PIMCO warned advisors: “Get used to the government being your partner.” As group editor-in-chief Jamie Green wrote in his May column for Investment Advisor, "For good or ill, that is certainly the case for the foreseeable future."
There was plenty to talk about with this year's heavy-hitters - it's no surprise that fiduciary was top-of-mind for many of the IA 25 – but, print constraints being what they are, we were forced to trim comments to the bare minimum. Look for extended interviews with all 25 in the coming days by following the schedule below.
Check out last year's special Thirty for Thirty; in honor of Investment Advisor's 30th anniversary, we highlighted the 30 most influential people in the business. Click here to go back to the beginning and see the very first IA 25.
- April 25: Mary Schapiro, Chairman, Securities and Exchange Commission
- April 26: Rep. Spencer Bachus, R-Ala., Chairman, House Financial Services Committee
- April 27: Dale Brown, President/CEO, Financial Services Institute
- April 28: Olivia Mitchell, Director, Boettner Center for Pensions and Retirement Research, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
- April 29: Richard Ketchum, Chairman/CEO, FINRA
- May 2: Robert Pozen, Chairman Emeritus, MFS Investment Management
- May 3: Tom Bradley, President, TD Ameritrade
- May 4: Ken Fisher, Founder/CEO, Fisher Investments
- May 5: Mohamed El-Erian, CEO/Co-Chief Investment Officer, PIMCO
- May 6: Mark Tibergien, CEO, Pershing Advisor Solutions
- May 9: Julie Littlechild, President, Advisor Impact
- May 10: Bruce Berkowitz, Founder/Manager, Fairholme Fund
- May 11: Bill Dwyer, President, National Sales and Marketing, LPL Financial; Chairman, Financial Services Institute
- May 12: Phyllis Borzi, Assistant Secretary of Labor, Employee Benefits Security Administration
- May 13: Harold Evensky, Founder, Evensky & Katz
- May 16: Eileen Rominger, Director of Investment Management, Securities and Exchange Commission
- May 17: Rep. Scott Garrett, R-N.J., House Financial Services Subcommittee on Capital Markets and Government Sponsored Enterprises
- May 18: Meir Statman, Glenn Klimek Professor of Finance, Leavey School of Business, Santa Clara University; Visiting Professor, Tilburg University
- May 19: Spenser Segal, Founder/CEO, ActiFi
- May 20: David Tittsworth, Executive Director, Investment Adviser Association
- May 23: Ron Rhoades, Private Wealth Manager, Director Of Research, Chief Compliance Officer, Joseph Capital Management LLC
- May 24: Elizabeth Warren, Leo Gottlieb Professor of Law, Harvard Law School
- May 25: Blaine Aikin, CEO, fi360
- May 26: Michael McRaith, Director of Insurance, Illinois
- May 27: Sen. Tim Johnson, D-S.D., Chairman, Senate Banking Committee
- May 30: The IA 25 All Stars, honoring multiple winners through the years
- May 31: The IA Rogues Gallery, those who have made the list as influencers for ill
View the complete article on the IA 25 in the May 2011 Investment Advisor.
Don't see someone on this year's IA 25 that you think belongs there? Submit their name and your justification for why they should be considered among the most influential people in and around the advisor universe in the Comments field below. We promise to consider reader nominations, but please, no ad hominem attacks on those who were named in this or past years.--Ed.