It's easy to get distracted in today's market. The Information Overload Research Group offers these tips to limit the amount of distraction you deal with day-to-day:
- Turn off e-mail notifications to save yourself from being constantly interrupted as new e-mails arrive.
- Read the entire thread before responding. Ensure you are responding to the latest posts and not repeating points already covered.
- Set aside time for e-mail. Designate blocks of time in your day to focus on processing your e-mail.
- Limit your CCs and "Replies to all." Only copy people who really need to get the e-mail.
- Be concise. Write clear and concise subject lines and have each e-mail focus on only one topic.