One of my favorite networking stories, which I tell in my training courses, is how I once met sportscaster Charlie Jones on a plane.
Nowadays it’s easier to find interesting people on your flight. Planely is a new web app that allows people on the same flight to socialize. How does it work? Just follow these three simple steps:
- First let Planely know about your upcoming flights, including your departure and arrival airports.
- Planely then lets you know who will be traveling on your flight or who will be at the airport when you are.
- Reach out and make contact. If you find someone you are interested in making contact with, you can send them a message via the app and it will be delivered to their email inbox. If they desire to communicate with you, they can do so directly via your included email address.
Planely also integrates with LinkedIn and can be a great way to kill time and make new friends during what would otherwise be time wasted traveling.
Planely CEO and founder Nick Martin explains that once the app has matched you with a traveling companion, “if both you and your match integrate, then as part of that summary, we show you if your match is one, two or three degrees of separation away from you or in any of the same groups.”
I haven’t tried it myself yet, but it looks interesting!
Sign up for The Lead and get a new tip in your inbox every day! More tips:
- 3 more lead generation mistakes to avoid
- Advisors: Skype your way to success
- Create a social media policy for employees
Jan Vermeiren is the founder of Networking Coach, author of the best-sellers “Let’s Connect!” and “How to REALLY use LinkedIn” and a well-known international networking and referrals speaker. For more information, go to his blog at http://www.janvermeiren.com/.