Choosing any “Best of” list can be a tricky procedure. It assumes a certain level of chutzpah on the part of the bestower, opens up said bestower to conflict-of-interest or cronyism challenges, and runs the risk of alienating the many fine people or companies who don’t make the list.
That’s why, as in past years, the editors of AdvisorOne opened the nomination process for the 50 Top Women in Wealth to the wealth management community and then enlisted the aid of an advisory board of industry leaders with impeccable credentials and unparalleled integrity to guide the process and make the final determination, under the leadership of those editors.
Our advisory board of industry leaders, included:
- Gail Graham, executive vice president, Fidelity Institutional.
- Joseph Keefe, CEO and president, Pax World Management LLC.
- Kim Wright-Violich, president of Schwab Charitable.
- Sheryl Garrett, founder, The Garrett Planning Network, Inc.
- Deena Katz, associate professor, Personal Financial Planning Division at Texas Tech University, and partner in Evensky & Katz, a registered investment advisor.
- Jennifer Connelly, CEO of JCPR, Inc., a financial services public relations firm.
And AdvisorOne editors:
- Janet Levaux, managing editor for Research and Portfolio editor at AdvisorOne.com
- Melanie Waddell, Washington bureau chief at Investment Advisor and practice management editor at AdvisorOne.com.
- Kate McBride, former Wealth editor at AdvisorOne.com.
We solicited nominations online in the spring of 2011—and received many–from the wealth
management community through notifications on AdvisorOne.com and through e-mail blasts. In a series of conference calls, the advisory board whittled down the long list of nominations until the list was finalized in May.
Honorees were notified by the AdvisorOne editor, Jamie Green, in the last week of June. The formal announcement of this year’s 50 Top Women was made on July 6. Coverage of the 50 Top Women was to take place on AdvisorOne throughout the month of July, and in the August issues of our sister print publications, Investment Advisor and Research magazines.
See the complete list here of the 2011 50 Top Women in Wealth.
See the list of the 2010 50 Top Women in Wealth.
See here the lead news article on the 2011 50 Top Women in Wealth.