You may consider yourself an expert, but does your target market consider you one? Here are four strategies you can implement to begin positioning yourself as an expert.
1. Host a radio show. Most live call-in financial talk shows hosted by financial advisors are actually paid programming. By purchasing an hour of airtime on a local station, you can become a famous financial commentator.
2. Schedule speaking engagements. Arrange speaking engagements with community and industry organizations that cater to your ideal client. To aid your efforts, develop a media kit that sells you as a speaker. This kit should include a list of previous presentations, a professional bio and a list of topics to present.
3. Write articles for publication. Publications may range from local newspapers to professional association magazines. The ideal goal is to establish an arrangement where you can contribute on a regular basis to gain exposure to the same audience consistently over a long period of time.
4. Use social media. If you are on a tight budget or don’t have the connections to implement the other strategies, consider starting a blog, podcast or video blog. By using these digital mediums and promoting them through social networking sites, such as LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter, you create awareness of your expertise. The key is to have a clear message, direct it to a specific audience and promote it in a place where the audience will find it.
Once you have taken steps to become the expert, capitalize on your successes. Include in your bio that you are “a regular contributor to XYZ Magazine,” “author of the popular investment blog XYZ Money Matters” or “a frequent speaker for a wide range of professional groups in the county.” Post reprints of your articles and recordings of your presentations and radio shows on your website to further the exposure.
Sign up for The Lead and get a new tip in your inbox every day! More tips:
- Getting across the bridge: Asking for referrals
- 5 more lame sales questions advisors need to avoid
- Advisor networking: Tips for workin’ it
Kristen Luke is the Principal of Wealth Management Marketing Inc., a firm dedicated to providing marketing strategies and support for Registered Investment Advisory firms. For more information, visit www.wealthmanagementmarketing.net.