Morningstar has released its nominees for the 2016 U.S. Fund Manager of the Year awards.
The list includes fund managers from American Century, T. Rowe Price, Oakmark, Fidelity, Dodge & Cox, Vanguard and other groups in four fund categories: domestic stocks, international stocks, fixed income and allocation/alternatives.
“This year’s crop of nominees not only managed to deliver strong returns to shareholders, but did so the right way — by sticking to their fundamental investing approach through thick and thin,” said Laura Pavlenko Lutton, Morningstar’s director of manager research for North America, in a statement.
The nominees showed “the discipline and skill that successful investing demands,” Lutton explained. “We think those same qualities, coupled with a strong commitment to shareholders, should pave the way to future success as well.”
Morningstar will announce the award winners live on Jan. 25 during CNBC’s “Power Lunch” TV program.
According to the fund research group, the awards aim to recognize managers who have both strong short-term and long-term risk-adjusted returns and “have been good stewards of fund shareholders’ capital.”
(Check out last year's nominees in Top 14 Fund Managers of 2015: Morningstar.)
The nominations are as follows:
Domestic Stock Fund Manager of the Year
- Phillip N. Davidson, Kevin Toney, Michael Liss, Dan Gruemmer and Brian Woglom — American Century Equity Income (TWEIX), American Century Value (TWVLX) and American Century Mid Cap Value (ACMVX) — with 2016 returns of 19.5%-22.8%;
- Scott Brayman and team — Champlain Small Company (CIPSX) — with returns of 28% in 2016;
- Jerome Dodson and team for Parnassus (PARNX) — ’16 returns of 13.5%;
- David Wallack — T. Rowe Price Mid-Cap Value (TRMCX) — with a 24.3% performance in 2016;
- Primecap team — Vanguard Primecap (VPMCX), Vanguard Primecap Core (VPCCX), Vanguard Capital Opportunity (VHCOX), Primecap Odyssey Growth (POGRX), Primecap Odyssey Stock (POSKX) and Primecap Odyssey Aggressive Growth (POAGX) — with returns of 8.4%-12.8% in 2016.
International Stock Fund Manager of the Year
- David Samra and Daniel O’Keefe — Artisan International Value (ARTKX);
- International Investment Policy Committee — Dodge and Cox International Stock (DODFX);
- David Herro — Oakmark International (OAKIX).
Fixed Income Fund Manager of the Year
- Mary Ellen Stanek and team — Baird Core Plus (BCOIX);
- Fixed Income Investment Policy Committee — Dodge and Cox Income (DODIX);
- Ford O’Neil and team — Fidelity Total Bond (FTBFX);
- Ray Kennedy, Mark Hudoff, Patrick Meegan, and Richard Mak — Hotchkis and Wiley High Yield Fund (HWHIX);
- Michael Hasenstab and Sonal Desai — Templeton Global Bond (TGBAX), Templeton Global Total Return (TTRZX) and Templeton Global Income (GIM).
Allocation/Alternatives Fund Manager of the Year
- Robert Jones — Boston Partners Long/Short Equity (BPLSX);
- Equity and Fixed-Income Investment Policy Committees — Dodge and Cox Balanced (DODBX)
- Steven Romick, Brian Selmo, and Mark Landecker, FPA Crescent (FPACX).
--- Related on ThinkAdvisor: