More On Tax Planningfrom The Advisor's Professional Library
- Charitable Giving Charitable giving can reduce your clients’ tax liabilities. However, the general and verification rules for the deduction of charitable gifts must be understood in order to take full tax advantage of such gifts.
- ETF Taxation The use of ETFs may be attractive to certain investors. The tax advantages may make them even more attractive.
Donor-advised fund accounts in the Vanguard Charitable Endowment Program can now gain international exposure through three new investment pools the provider introduced Tuesday.
The single-fund pools comprise Vanguard mutual funds that invest in the following international equity market segments:
- The European Stock Pool invests in more than 400 stocks across the European region, which makes up about half of the non-U.S. equity marketplace.
- The Pacific Stock Pool invests in some 500 stocks in developed countries of the Asia/Pacific region, particularly Japan; the area makes up roughly a quarter on the non-U.S. equity marketplace.
- The Emerging Markets Pool provides exposure to emerging markets by investing in companies in 21 countries, including the so-called BRICs: Brazil, Russia, India and China.
The new investment pools “provide additional diversification and offer a low-cost way for donor-advised accounts to gain equity exposure to both developed and emerging international economies,” Vanguard Charitable president Benjamin Pierce said in a statement.
The statement said the addition of the new pools aligned with Vanguard’s strategic investment methodology, which has recently included more exposure to international equities.
In April, Vanguard Charitable added the Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund to three multi-fund pools available to DAF accounts (Conservative Growth, Moderate Growth and Growth), and increased international exposure in the Total Equity multi-fund pool from 20% to 30%.