Research firm BrightScope announced this week the Top 20 Treasury Inflation Protected Securities (TIPS) funds by total distribution.
As the inflation-resistant potential of TIPS funds causes an investment surge in retirement plans, they now represent roughly $15 billion of the $3.2 trillion in 401k, 403b, and 457 assets tracked, according to San Diego-based BrightScope.
“In fact, the amount of investable assets dedicated to TIPS funds has been growing at a steady 30% rate as plan sponsors, consultants and advisors see more value in diversification,” said Ryan Alfred, president and co-founder of BrightScope, in a statement. “This makes having access to detailed information and analytics about TIPS funds invaluable for asset managers looking for a competitive advantage.”
BrightScope’s list is part of a series of rankings that it regularly publishes to provide investment managers, mutual fund companies and investors with more insight into the top funds and managers in the retirement marketplace. The firm’s database includes a detailed investment menu on nearly 50,000 plans, representing nearly 90% of all the assets in 401(k)s.
More detailed information on the TIPS industry and the Top 20 Funds is now available in a free white paper from BrightScope, “TIPS Funds Continue Strong DC Asset Growth.”
Read about BrightScope’s list of Top 15 Mid-Cap Funds in Defined Contribution Plans at AdvisorOne.
In reverse order, the Top 20 TIPS funds by total distribution are:
20. Fidelity Advisor Inflation-Protected Bond
19. American Century Inflation Protection Bond
18. DFA Inflation-Protected Securities
17. MassMutual Premier Inflation-Protected Bond
16. Wellington Management TIPS Plus
15. Transamerica Partners Inflation-Protected Securities
14. Fidelity Trust Treasury Bond Index
13. FFTW Inflation-Indexed Bond
12. BlackRock, led by Larry Fink (left), Inflation Protected Bond
11. American Beacon Treasury Inflation Protected Securities
10. Western Asset Inflation Indexed Plus Bond
9. Northern Trust Daily TIPS
8. Barclays Treasury Inflation Protected Securities Index Trust
7. American Century Inflation-Adjusted Bond
6. Fidelity Inflation-Protected Bond
5. SSgA US Inflation-Protected Bond Index
4. BlackRock US TIPS
3. TIAA-CREF Inflation-Linked Bond
2. Vanguard Inflation-Protected Securities
1. PIMCO, led by Bill Gross (left), Real Return