More On Legal & Compliancefrom The Advisor's Professional Library
- Client Commission Practices and Soft Dollars RIAs should always evaluate whether the products and services they receive from broker-dealers are appropriate. The SEC suggested that an RIAs failure to stay within the scope of the Section 28(e) safe harbor may violate the advisors fiduciary duty to clients, so RIAs must evaluate their soft dollar relationships on a regular basis to ensure they are disclosed properly and that they do not negatively impact the best execution of clients transactions.
- Differences Between State and SEC Regulation of Investment Advisors States may impose licensing or registration requirements on IARs doing business in their jurisdiction, even if the IAR works for an SEC-registered firm. States may investigate and prosecute fraud by any IAR in their jurisdiction, even if the individual works for an SEC-registered firm.
Citibank announced Friday that as part of a “strategic decision” by Citibank and Citigold Wealth Management leadership, the Citi Personal Wealth Management Investment Consultant role “will be discontinued, and will no longer be present in the bank’s consumer branches.”
Citibank says approximately 80 positions across Citi’s U.S. footprint will be eliminated.
The bank’s Investment Consultant role was introduced in 2010 to help facilitate business plans with independent registered investment advisors.
However, these plans Citibank said, “which were put on hold earlier this year, will no longer be pursued, therefore eliminating the need of the Investment Consultant role.”
Citi’s statement went on to say that while “this role elimination is quite limited in scale, we are taking every measure to ensure that clients are not impacted. Furthermore, we will assist affected employees in this transition by providing them the opportunity to apply for other jobs within Citi.”
Citibank’s noted that its “commitment to Citigold and to growing the Wealth Management business is stronger than ever, and we continue to make investments in serving the banking and investment needs of retail customers across the U.S.”
Most notably, Citibank said in the statement:
- We are increasing our wealth management sales force, including Citi Personal Wealth Management Financial Advisors, Citigold Relationship Managers and Citi Private Client Relationship Managers in our key markets;
- We are enhancing product capabilities with a focus on financial planning, retirement and insurance;
- We continue to strengthen our customer service and operating platforms.