- Carry cash--without a credit card, there's no temptation to buy beyond your means.
- Know where your money is going--keep track of purchases by making lists of everything from food to utilities to subscriptions.
- Leverage "freebies" and discounts--take advantage, for example, of your employer discounts for gym memberships and transit discounts (for trains, buses, and parking).
- Pay yourself first--make sure you "save" for that big-ticket item (including retirement) before spending on a new pair of shoes or the latest gadget.
- Time is your best friend--while living at home, organize your finances as though you were out on your own. Set aside what you would pay for rent and food, and pocket the savings. By accumulating assets, you can get out on your own sooner and/or afford more luxuries later.
- Make coffee at home--invest in a coffee maker and save money by not spending $4 a day for a super latte at the fancy coffee bar.
- Have a fun night "in"--make cooking dinner fun by having friends over; each person is responsible for making or bringing a different course (e.g., salad, sides, dessert).
- Know your limits--is it cheaper to have unlimited cell phone minutes? If you cannot stay within a certain limit, then paying for unlimited minutes makes sense, but if, in the last six months, you averaged, for example, 3,000 minutes, then maybe you should get a more cost-effective plan.
- Stop gas guzzling--with runaway gas prices, consider mass transit or carpooling with coworkers from your neighborhood.
LPL's white paper, Success Without Limits, will help you understand the various options and considerations for choosing the right partner.
Look behind the curtain and see how our fixed-income experts determine which municipals offer the greatest potential. With this proven approach to effective muni selection,...
Our research shows that two screens have helped achieve better outcomes - low expenses and high manager ownership. Funds sharing these two characteristics have tended...
Jul 09, 2015
In this session we’ll discuss whether or not factor investing is truly active management, and how to define and test whether a factor exists.
Jun 30, 2015
Join ThinkAdvisor & Well Fargo in this webcast to learn a dynamic four criteria approach and how to gain portfolio flexibility.
Jun 09, 2015
Join ThinkAdvisor for this live, interactive webcast and hear from the winners of the 2015 SMA Mangers of the Year on impact investing strategies and...