The financial power of women is considerable--and growing rapidly, as witnessed by these figures compiled by Neuberger Berman.
- Almost half of Americans with assets greater than $600,000 are women.
- Women control 51% of private wealth in the United States.
- Seventy-five percent of Fortune 500 female executives out-earn their spouses.
- The number of wealthy women increased 68% from 1996 to 1998, compared to 36% for men during the same period.
As corporate executives and business owners, affluent women are an increasingly important group, too:
- Women hold almost 50% of all corporate management positions and an increasing number are attaining the top jobs and board seats.
- In the last ten years, women have started their own companies at twice the national average.
- Almost half of all privately held businesses are at least 50% owned by women.
- Women-owned businesses generate $2.4 trillion in sales each year and employ 19.1 million people nationwide.