More On Legal & Compliancefrom The Advisor's Professional Library
- Privacy Policies and Rules Whether an RIA is SEC or state-registered, the firm must have policies and procedures in effect to protect clients privacy. Policies and procedures should explicitly require an RIA to send out its privacy notice each year.
- Disaster Recovery Plans and Succession Planning RIAs owe a fiduciary duty to clients to prepare for disasters and other contingencies. If an RIA does not have a disaster recovery plan, clients financial well-being may be jeopardized. RIAs should also engage in succession planning, ensuring a smooth transaction if an owner or principal leaves.
Here's a breakdown of how, and where, advisors and brokers are registered. The numbers were presented by Melanie Lubin, Maryland's Securities Commissioner, at the ALI-ABA investment advisor regulation conference in Washington in late January.
- 24,481 total advisors are listed on the Investment Adviser Registration
- 10,977 advisors are SEC registered only
- 192 advisors are dually registered with the states and SEC
- 13,312 are state registered advisors
- 1,109 firms are B/Ds and advisors
- 225,000 are B/D reps
- 200,000 reps are also registered as B/D agents
- 4,000 reps are associated with both state and federally registered firms