- Go for a limited-pay policy. The initial cost is higher, but the price is locked in. Once it's paid, it's paid.
- Consider a combination policy of variable life, cash value, and LTC. Once the lump sum has been contributed, that's it.
- Consider the return-of-premium rider. It, too, is expensive, but it can protect the estate for heirs if the policy is not used.
- Use it as part of a prenuptial agreement. This will protect both spouses and any children and heirs involved.
- Pay for it with a reverse mortgage. Depending on your clients' situation, this may be the way to go.
- Suggest that business-owning clients have their C corporation purchase the policies for them.
- Suggest that clients' children pay for the policy, or share the expense with their parents. Coverage will protect both of them.
- Suggest that clients look for an employer willing to provide LTC insurance as an employee benefit. This can offer coverage not only to them, but to their immediate family members, and will save employers the expense of workers' time lost to caretaking.
- Suggest LTC insurance for clients who have assets tied up in real property, such as real estate. If they self-insure, they may have to sell assets to finance their care; a policy will preclude that.
- Last but not least, consider getting politically involved to push through the passage of the Ronald Reagan Act or similar legislation. The Reagan Act includes a provision to make premiums for long-term care insurance an above-the-line tax deduction--something that will benefit purchasers and encourage them to more actively plan for their own senior years.
When you explore options for your practice, you naturally look to what others have done. Learn how advisors from different backgrounds—each with a different vision...
A periodic review of your broker-dealer affiliation can ensure it’s still the best fit for you and your clients. MoneyBlock’s Broker-Dealer Evaluation Guide offers tips...
Changing custodians doesn’t have to be difficult. Discover what you can do to ensure a quick, painless transition.
Aug 21, 2014
During this interactive webinar, experts Dr. Brian Jacobsen and Dr. Rick Jensen will share case studies of five tough clients and cover approaches to working...
Jul 24, 2014
Join ThinkAdvisor for this all-day, live digital virtual conference focusing on the most pressing topics related to ETFs for investment advisors. Attend expert-led panel sessions...
Jul 16, 2014
Rising longevity, advances in health care and increasing affluence made current conceptions of retirement possible. Yet an economy that today provides less opportunity is chipping...